Hill County Commission Issues Response to Kallenberger’s Request

HAVRE, Mont. (NMB) – The Hill County Commission has approved sending a response back to the Counsel for the Kallenberger’s in light of a controversy regarding grazing allotments.

The Kallenbergers have requested a three-member panel be initiated to review the denial of their requested grazing allotment, and have threatened to file suit if their demand is not met. They set a deadline for a date of response for July 29th.

The motion approved by the Commission on Thursday states they will send the Counsel, Attorney Nate McConnell, a letter to let them know they will be taking the issue under advisement.

County Attorney Lacey Lincoln told the Commission that if they approve the request, they will have a lot of work ahead of them.

“You’re going to have to do processes, procedures. There is a significant amount of work that will go into it if you do this. So I don’t think that this is a decision that should be made lightly. I think it is something you guys will want to consider pretty thoroughly.”

Lincoln said she would draft the letter of response and send it to the Commission for review. She says a three-member panel isn’t necessarily required, and there may be other avenues to address this issue.

“The Commission probably wants to spend time (reviewing) the statute, looking through it, and determining what’s the best course of action for our particular County.”

Thursday marked the first time the entire Commission discussed the issue since the letter was sent by the Counsel for the Kallenbergers on July 1st.

McConnell did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

 

Other action taken at Thursday’s Commission business meeting:

  • Approval of payment of $10,471 to the Montana Association of Counties for member dues.
  • Tabling of the County Credit Card Policy. A draft policy was provided to County employees earlier in the morning, and Commission Chair Diane McLean said she would like to give them time to review it.
  • Approval of a $37,300 task order with Great West Engineering for Milk River Levee encroachment assistance. This work will include, but is not limited to, evaluating and removing confirmed encroachments, and sending a request to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for the seven landowners with buildings in the encroachment to receive a legacy easement. This is being funded with CARES Act dollars, but the Commission said their intent is for it to be reimbursed by a yet-to-be-created special district of taxpayers in the flood plain.
  • Approval of a $938 change order with Walker River Construction, as a bit more work was required than expected for repairs of the spillway drain near Beaver Creek Dam.
  • Approval of a request for close out documents for the recently completed project improving the Beaver Creek Dam Spillway and Basin. The Commission also approved a Task Order approving an increase in the cost of the grant-funded project from $52,000 to $58,000. Commissioner Jake Strissel said that he believes those that worked on the project did a good job and that he thinks “it’ll hold up for quite some time.”
  • Approval of payment of $359,725 for MACo property and casualty trust contribution for the fiscal year that began July 1st.
  • A Task Order in the amount of $69,012 for a Disease Intervention Specialist and Congregate Living Prevention Coordinator.
  • Approval to pay inspectors $200 a month to look at the recently completed project that rehabilitated 8th Avenue West (which links Down Under Fitness with Optimist Park) to check for erosion control along the edges. The Commission said it is to be decided where funds will be drawn from.
  • The re-appointments of Joyce Preeshl to the Cemetery District Board and Lela Patera to the H. Earl Clack Museum Board.