Man on Parole Back in Prison after Allegedly Leading Police on High-Speed Chase

HAVRE, Mont. (NMB) – A man that had been on parole as a conditional release offender is now in the Hill County Detention Center after allegedly leading authorities on a high-speed vehicle pursuit.

A court affidavit states that on December 2, 2019, Robert Gerald Bear III led law enforcement on a high-speed pursuit that began in Chinook and ended in Phillips County. Bear wrecked the vehicle and ran from law enforcement on foot. He was later apprehended and charged with several misdemeanor crimes in both Blaine and Phillips Counties.

Bear was already an absconder with a warrant out for his arrest at the time of the pursuit for allegedly stealing two large fuel cans from a yard in Dodson.

After the pursuit, he admitted to his Parole Officer he had recently been using methamphetamine and marijuana. Other conditions of his release he is accused of violating include not reporting to his parole officer and failing to pay court fines and fees.

In May 2014, Bear was given a five years deferred sentence in Phillips County District Court for felony forgery.

Less than a year later, in April 2015, Bear was sentenced to five years imprisonment, three of which were to be suspended, for another count of felony forgery in Phillips County District Court. Later that year, Bear was entered into a correctional training program. Upon completion of that program, Bear entered and completed an Aftercare program. He completed the program in February 2016 and then began parole.

In January 2018, Bear was received in the Hill County Jail pending new charges. In May 2018, Bear was sentenced to three years suspended in Hill County District Court for felony burglary and misdemeanor theft and obstruction of a Peace Officer.

On May 17, 2018, Bear’s suspended sentence in Phillips County was revoked and he was committed to the Department of Corrections for three years.

On May 29, Bear entered the Pine Hill Correctional Facility. Upon completion of that program, on December 27, 2018 Bear was released and re-entered Havre Probation and Parole.

Bear denied the violations of his parole last week in Hill County District Court.

His Probation and Parole Officer is recommending he serve three years in the Department of Corrections, with none suspended.

He remains in the Hill County Detention Center on $25,000 bail.

A status hearing is scheduled for February 3.

Copyright © New Media Broadcasters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.